The Tata group has had links with China since the latter half of the 19th century when Jamsetji Tata began his career in international trade. Tata companies employ about 3,600 employees in China today.
Their presence includes:
- Tata Sons has a representative office in Beijing.
- Tata International has a trading office in Shanghai to trade steel and other products.
- Tata Consultancy Services has joint ventures with three Chinese companies and Microsoft; and six Global Delivery Centres in Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Tianjin, Shenzhen and Dalian.
- Tata Steel has two rolling mills in China and a significant trading business.
- TRL Krosaki Refractories has a factory in Yingkou.
- Kalzip’s factory in Guangzhou provides total tailored metal solutions for building envelopes.
- Tata AutoComp’s factory in Nanjing to produce and supply plastic parts.
- Tata Global Beverages has a joint venture with Zhejiang Tea Import & Export to manufacture and market green tea, green tea extracts and other value-added tea products.
- York Transport Equipment manufactures axles in Shanghai.
- Jaguar Land Rover has a joint venture with Chery Automobile to manufacture cars in Changshu.